Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Velv... I mean, "LIFEeeta" Cheese!

Football playoffs are upon us, and I am excited to watch the Super Bowl in a couple of weeks. 
With the Bowl comes some of my favorite treats, like dips, pizza, (boneless)wings, and more!
Have you ever tried Rotel Cheese Dip?
I could eat that ALL DAY LONG and be perfectly happy, but considering that I don't want all the hard work I have been doing to go down the drain in one day of vegging out on goodies, (the Holiday's were bad enough, but we aren't even going to talk about that, OK? hehe) I have been playing with recipes looking for ways that I can fortify the recipes I already love to make them fit more easily into a healthy lifestyle!
Thus, "Lifeeta Cheese" was born!

I made this a few nights ago and it was great with broccoli and boiled 'new potatoes'

I wouldn't recommend eating this often. While it is way healthier than the original soft-yellow-loaf that you buy at the store, it is still pretty high in calories. 

Recipe:
2 cups milk (I used whole because that's what we drink)
2 tbs cornstarch
Dash of salt
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (can add more to taste, we thought this was fine).

Directions:
Add milk to cold saucepan. Add cornstarch, and whisk. While whisking, turn up heat to med-high, closer to high, but watch closely. You do not want the milk to boil, and you don't want the starch sticking to the bottom of the pan. 
As milk heats, continue stirring. It should start bubbling. At this point, you can add the salt and half of the cheese, keeping it on the heat. It should start thickening quite rapidly. As it does this, add remaining cheese and continue stirring until melted. 

Viola! Isn't that easier than walking clear to the back of the store to find this stuff? hehe... I always seem to have to search for it, but now I have it in all the ingredients in my pantry, and I can eat it with less guilt!

This makes about 3/4 of the amount you would get with a store-bought loaf. We haven't tried to store it, but if you aren't going to use it right away, it should be fine to put plastic wrap or tin foil in a bread pan, poor the mixture in and refrigerate until hardened. It should keep for about two weeks like this.

Happy Super Bowling! May the best team win!



No comments:

Post a Comment